Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

 

DSCF6570

Per my mother’s family tradition, I made Rob eat his share of blackeye peas today. Tradition in the south (my mom grew up in Oklahoma) says that eating blackeye peas brings luck and prosperity in the new year.  I’ve eaten them every January 1st for as long as I can remember.  I even had them when I was on my mission in Northern Brazil.  My mom was kind enough to send them with my Christmas presents. Rob, who hates all vegetables, and thinks these taste like dirt, even at a spoonful to humor me. 

I looked it up online and found out that the tradition of eating Blackeye Peas dates back to 500 AD.  That’s a pretty good tradition and not one I plan on breaking in any of my future years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_pea

Happy New Year to everyone.  Rob and I wish you all a “lucky” year and hopefully a happy one!

3 comments:

Who Knew . . . said...

I agree with Rob, they taste like dirt.

Loyce said...

I love them with mashed potatoes. Happy New Year!!

Michael Becerra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.