Monday, September 27, 2010

Date night turned a night in the ER

WARNING: Graphic picture below

I was all ready for date night.  I got home from work and jumped in the shower.  I had done my hair and make-up and was waiting for Rob to get home.  We were going on a double date with some friends of ours.  Dinner, and then coming back to our house to play Kinect.  That didn’t happen…

It was 5:15 pm when I got a phone call from an unknown number.  I never answer the phone when I don’t recognize the number.  So, I ignored it.  The caller immediately called back, so I thought, I would see what they wanted.  It was a woman, and she said, “Hello, Cindi, here’s your husband…”  Rob then came on the phone and said, “I was in a motorcycle accident and I think I broke my arm.” 

I jumped in the car and went to find him.  He was only a mile from our house.  When I got there, he was sitting on the curb, holding his arm, and the lady who had called was holding a tissue to his bloody nose.  The paramedics were getting out of the ambulance just as I was getting there. 

The paramedics had to cut off Rob’s glove and jacket because he couldn’t open his hand.  They put him in a splint that provided almost zero support and took him on a very painful ride to the hospital.  I followed in my car.

We spent the evening in the ER with x-rays and traction.



After about 4 hours they decided traction wasn’t working and that Rob would need surgery because the bone was not realigning itself.  They whisked us off to the operating room.  Just as we were about to enter, another emergency bumped us and they sent us to a pre-surgery waiting room. We waited there for another 3-4 hours.  They finally took Rob into surgery at 12:30 am.  I saw him again at 3 am. 

He wore a post surgery splint for a week and today we went for his first post-op appointment where they took out the staples and gave him a cast.


We had a creative cast technician who gave rob a beautiful dark blue spiral stripe down his light blue cast. 


He will be in this cast for 1 week.  Then he gets a new one that comes below the elbow for three weeks. 

We had some guests come over tonight and decorate Rob’s cast even more.


Lauren and Isaac Ramos getting ready to sign


Mackenna Wheeler shows off her artistic abilities on Robs cast. 

Rob and I are grateful for all the visitors and help we’ve received over the past week.  We are very grateful that it was only his arm that was injured. 

If you’re in the neighborhood come on by, I’ve got the sharpies ready and waiting.


KristiLee said...

You guys are always up to something =) I wish I was closer I would stop by to help out in the decorating.
So glad he wasn't it wasn't more serious and he is healing well.
Love you guys!

Loyce said...

Ouch! Glad Rob is ok and the arm is healing.

A Momma said...

How scary! Glad to see him smiling and feeling better. You know all about broken bones and surgery!
Hope it all heals up well.

Austin said...

Wow, is that a metal-mesh Chinese finger trap, in the ER?